Georgia ITE Members and Friends,
Happy New Year Week everyone! This will be my last newsletter to you all (no need to be so excited), and I will be transitioning to our newly elected 2021 Secretary-Treasurer, Christina Barry!! Please continue reading each section below for a wrap-up of 2020.
My final few reminders for 2020 are simple:
- Don't forget to renew your registration for the new 2021 year with International ITE
- Georgia ITE is looking for presentation topics of interest from our membership and other transportation professionals. Not all topics will be selected, but we'd love to hear ideas from YOU! Please CLICK HERE to submit a topic or click on the link in the navigation to your left. The form will remain open year round!
I hope you have a great rest of the week! Stay healthy!
2020 GAITE Secretary-Treasurer
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE NEW 2021 GEORGIA ITE BOARD!!!
During our annual meeting on Friday, December 18, 2020 the new Board of Directors was announced and sworn in for the 2021 calendar year. Please congratulate and thank those members willing to volunteer their time on the Board or through committees for 2021. Our new Board and their contact information can be found HERE and is also listed below.
- President: Chris Maddox, SEI
- Vice President: Meredith Emory, Kimley-Horn
- Secretary-Treasurer: Christina Barry, GDOT
- Past President: Katherine Shearin, GDOT
- District Representatives: Sean Coleman, Kimley-Horn & Kelly Patrick, Cobb County DOT
- Past President Representative (non-voting): Kenny Voorhies
- Board Member at Large: Alan Davis, GDOT
Georgia ITE Traffic Bowl Competition
Please congratulate the Georgia Tech Student chapter on their qualification for the 2021 SDITE Meeting Traffic Bowl Competition.
Congratulations to our 2020 Awards Recipients!!!
- Georgia Section Agency Achievement Award: GDOT - Traffic Operations
- The John D. Edwards, Jr. Individual Achievement Award: Justin Stutts
- Transportation Professional of the Year: Meg Pirkle
- The Karl Bevins Distinguished Service Award: Michael Presley
- Award of Special Recognition: Kenny Voorhies
- Georgia Section Award for Innovation in Transportation: City of Peachtree Corners
- Marsha Anderson Young Member of the Year Award: Jackie Kawa
- Georgia Section Idea Sharing Award: Tyler Peek
You can find a list of all current and past award recipients as well as the intention for the award HERE.
Congratulations to our 2020 Scholarship Award Recipients!!!
- John D. Edwards Memorial Scholarship - $6,000
- Arnaud Huguet - received a Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering from the Georgia Institute of Technology after graduating with High Honors. He has additionally earned a Master of Business Administration and a Graduate Certificate in Project Management from Missouri State University. Mr. Huguet is a certified Engineer-in-Training employed by the Georgia Department of Transportation. As the Assistant State Signal Engineer, he oversees the operational improvements of traffic signals, statewide, in a valiant effort to uphold this peachy state as a safe place to drive – and he quite likes it.
- Georgia ITE Scholarship - $3,000
- Katelyn Iles - a Master’s student in Civil Engineering focusing on Transportation Systems at the Georgia Institute of Technology. This year she is working as a graduate research assistant at Georgia Tech. She has previously worked as an intern on the traffic engineering team at WSP, as an undergraduate research assistant at Georgia Tech, and as an engineering co-op at Tensar International. Katelyn is currently serving as the president of the Georgia Tech chapter of the Women’s Transportation Seminar. She is licensed as an EIT in the state of Georgia. Katelyn is most passionate about pedestrian, bicycle, and trail projects.
- Suleman Rana - Suleman completed his bachelors from Georgia Tech in Civil Engineering with Highest Honors and is currently a master’s student in Transportation Engineering program at Georgia Tech. He is involved in ASHE and ITE student chapters and enjoys various outdoor sports in his free time. His goal is to restore and uplift the transportation systems of Georgia. He is interested in developing efficient design practices to maximize the output of Autonomous Vehicles.
- Maria Ordonez - a Civil Engineer Masters Student at Georgia Southern University. She is the current president of I.T.E. and enjoys using her skills to contribute to the ongoing research of innovations in Transportation Engineering. She graduated from Georgia Southern University in 2017 with a bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering. She took an entry level position as a roadway design engineer at the Georgia Department of Transportation after graduation, where she worked for three years. In her free time, Maria likes to hike, spend time with her family and bake cupcakes
Call for volunteers!!
Are you interested in supporting Winter Workshop in 2021? Our Winter Workshop Chairs are looking for volunteers for technical, registration, and general committees. This is a great opportunity to engage and connect with peers! Please contact Christina Barry ([email protected]) and Md Shah Imran ([email protected]) to get more information on volunteering.
For information on the 2021 Winter Workshop, please check in on the event page for continual updates as details are determined.
Our marketing and communications committee has done an amazing job this year increasing our presence on social media and information for our website.
Please be sure to take the time and subscribe to our Georgia Section ITE YouTube channel. Our recent monthly meetings have been posted, so check them out! If you have feedback on the new YouTube format, please reach out to the communications committee or board.
Additionally, please make sure to follow our official pages:
Also, don't forget to tag #GeorgiaITE when you comment or share!